When designing your home office, it’s important to mix form and function. One of the most important selections you’ll make for your office is your desk, it’s the command center of your home workspace!
U-Shaped & L-Shaped Desks
U-shaped & l-shaped desks are atypical choices for home office desks. They take up more space than traditional desks, but they provide ample space for your computer and other equipment that you require for your job. If you are lucky enough to have enough room for an alternatively shaped desk, you should consider it. Especially if you work from home full-time!
- Room to multi-task: Have you ever been jammed in a cubicle with a second screen? Having a second screen allows you to spread out your applications and “digital paperwork”, but in a cramped space it leaves no room on your desk for actual paperwork! Having desk space on two planes gives you plenty of space for a second screen and allows you to work more efficiently with the physicals tools or papers your job requires. You could also use a different section of your desk for another hobby, like crafting!
- Room for other equipment: Printers, scanners, drawing pads, charging stations- you name it, you can fit it! No longer are you trying to cram these items on your desk, or plugging them in halfway across the room to save desk real estate.
- Room for decor: You know those celebrity desks you see in Architectural Digest? There’s never a computer in sight, just beautiful coffee table books? This looks so chic, but not so functional for an everyday workspace. With a U-Shaped or L-Shaped workspace, you have plenty of room to design a part of your desk that is not heavily used. Fill it with unique, architectural items and you just might feel like a celebrity yourself! Check out this video from AD for some desk styling tips.
- Room for collaborative working: If your spouse or child needs a workspace for a bit, there is plenty of room for them to pull up a chair and have their own workstation. It’s like having 2 or more work spaces in one!
- Brings Feng Shui: Sharp edges in feng shui are considered “sha” energy or life-draining chi. It is important that the desk you choose has softer, round edges. The curvature of a shaped desk is perfect for cultivating feng shui in your home office. More on Feng Shui here
- Takes up more space: This style of desk may be harder to implement in a bedroom, living room, or kitchen due to space restrictions.
- Less Options: You may have trouble finding a U-Shaped or L-Shaped desk that is the correct dimensions for the space you have available. If you do find one that fits the dimensions, it be hard to find one in the style you prefer, as they are less popular.
- The cost: A U-Shaped or L-Shaped desk is more costly than a standard desk. This may make it unappealing, but sometimes a more functional workspace is worth the investment! Another option is to DIY a U-Shaped or L-Shaped desk by combining multiple standards desks.
U-Shaped Desks Inspiration
DIY Desk Resources
Looking for something more budget-friendly? Or something that’s custom for your space? Check out these awesome resources for creating a DIY l-shaped or u-shaped desk for your home office:
Inspiration for Alternatively Shaped Desks in Smaller Spaces
The Wall Hung L-Shaped Desk
We love this idea from A Beautiful Mess! The bar height is perfect for standing or sitting. The tabletop could also be transformed into a bookshelf if you want to keep your workspace out of sight when company is over!
Create a Shaped Desk Using Project Boards & Filing Cabinets
We love the idea of using antique filing cabinets to create the desk of your dreams. All you need is a few filing cabinets of the same height and the material of your choice for the top. You can use this project board for a rustic, cost-effective look.
Create a Shaped Desk With Wooden Sawhorses
Love the look of this beautiful wooden sawhorse l-shaped desk, but don’t love the price? Make your own! All you need are some wooden sawhorses, which you can buy online or DIY. We love the simplicity that sawhorses bring to a space, especially with a glass top.