“I always put in one controversial item. It makes people talk.”Dorothy Draper, Interior Designer
If you want to breathe new life into your home workspace, without having to buy new furniture or accessories, change the walls! Of course, I’m all for a fresh coat of paint, but sometimes you need something with more depth. That’s where wallpaper comes in!
The Advantages of Wallpaper
- It can add depth, character, and style that it difficult to achieve with paint alone.
- Wallpaper can last upwards of 15 years, and if it’s hung correctly, it can last 3 times as long as paint.
- Wallpaper hides many surface imperfections.
- The possibilities are endless! Wallpaper comes in not only different designs, but textures. You can purchase glitter, suede, grasscloth, and even velvet.
- Wallpaper can make a space look elevated, and works well on accent walls.
- Some wallpapers are removable, which make then great in rentals!
The Disadvantages of Wallpaper
- It is time consuming to remove traditional wallpaper if you ever want to change up the style of the room.
- Applying wallpaper to walls is more time-consuming and costly than painting.
- Some wallpapers are much more expensive than paint.
Tips & Tricks for Picking the Perfect Wallpaper
1. Consider the Goal of Your Workspace
Do you count on your home office to keep you focused? Do you go there to be inspired? Is your home office client-facing at times? Ask yourself some questions to determine what the goal of your home office is and what it helps you achieve.
Creativity & Inspiration
If you need your workspace to inspire you, incorporate a fun pattern! It should be something that you fall in love with because you’ll see it often.
Focus & Simplicity
If you prefer a workspace that is simply designed and not distracting, we recommend a wallpaper without a pattern. Use a textured wallpaper, like linen or seagrass, to achieve an elegant, upscale look that is easy on the eyes.
2. Consider the Color
- Blue represents intelligence and is said to stimulate the mind, leading to more productivity. Blue is a great color to use if your work requires focus and is mentally straining.
- Red represents excitement and evokes a sense of urgency. It is a wonderful color for jobs that require physical exertion. For a home office, it may not be the best color, because most tend to be stationary when working from home.
- Yellow represents creativity and stimulates emotion. This makes it a perfect color for creatives. It can evoke feelings of positivity and happiness.
- Green represents balance, harmony, nature, and restoration. It is a great color if you work long hours because it’s the easiest color on the eyes.
3. Determine How Much
With wallpaper, a little goes a long way! If you don’t want to overcommit, use it on an accent wall, the ceiling, or on part of the wall. A touch of wallpaper changes the feel of the space drastically, upgrading it in a way paint is unable to.
For accent wall inspiration, check out this before & after from The Wicker House: